33 Engineer Squadron (33 ES) is the Regiment’s sub-unit located at the Gen. Sir Arthur Currie Building in Calgary, Alberta.
33 ES traces its lineage back to 6th Field Park Squadron that was formed in Lethbridge in 1940. 6th Field Park Squadron was mobilized in early 1941 and formed part of the 4th Canadian Armoured Division. Their task was supplying the Field Squadrons in the division, as well as all other units, with every kind of engineer material necessary. This included both military and local resources.
In March 1946, the sappers returned home to Lethbridge and the unit was re-designated to 33rd Field Park Squadron in 1947. In 1954 the Squadron was re-roled to a Field Squadron and in 1968 was relocated to Calgary. In 1971, the unit was relocated to Edmonton and zero-manned in favour of keeping 25th Field Squadron fully operational.
On 23 July 1990, after a decade of lobbying by the Calgary Branch of the Military Engineers Association of Canada, 33rd Field Engineer Squadron was reactivated and relocated to Calgary. It achieved independent squadron status in 1991 and provided combat engineering support to Calgary-area units for 18 years prior to being amalgamated with 8 FER in 2008.